Friday, May 23, 2008

I will toot my own horn....

I figure I don't very often post anything about myself. So, I will do this plus if I put it on here then maybe Phil won't make me frame it and hang it up. (He is proud) Anyway, this is an award given to people who get perfect scores on their palliative care. When hospice comes in, someone from the state will interview them and it happens to be Applegates year. You are rated on a range of 1-5 (5 being the highest) You are rated on dignity, quality of care, pain management, instructions, "the dying experience", respect and if then asked if there is anything hospice can do to improve. Anyway, I was the only one to get a perfect score on all of my interviews. So all I got was this lousy certificate. Just kidding, I think it is pretty neat. I love my job and love to be able to share peoples last moments on earth with them. It is an honor. People tend to be really open and inviting when they know they are dying. I have lost a lot of people that I really came to care about but I wouldn't trade it for the world.
Why I am posting about myself, I will take this time to say I FINALLY feel great. It has been years since I have felt as well as I do now. And, probably 1-2 more surgeries and I will be good as new. All except my poor missing taste buds but I am actually getting used to. The only problem is when I try something and I tell Phil it wasn't good, I start to worry that maybe it was? Oh well, life can't be perfect and I only have one numb spot on my face that I can't feel but I can totally live with that!! Anyway I want to say thank you to mom for all the help with the kids as I have spent literally MONTHS doing medical stuff. Thanks mom, I could never pay you back....well, maybe I can take care of YOU when you get older. I get high scores!!

6 comments:

Kerrilyn said...

Good job Marci. If I ever need hospice I know who I am calling. Toot away, on your horn..that is!!!

Dustan and Micayla said...

Way to go Marci...I think that is really cool!! I am so proud of you and glad that you enjoy what you do...it takes a special person to do that!!

grandma b said...

Hey Phil...this is so cool that I really think that she SHOULD frame it, don't you?! Good job Marci, I am so very proud of you and I know that you love your job. Even when I think that maybe you should take time off to take care of "Marci", you are still worried about the people you visit.

I'm glad you will be taking care of me when I'm older because I know how loving and caring you are with all of the people you visit now.

Way to go Marci...as Grandma Toone would say, "I'm busting my buttons!"

Poppy said...

Way to go - We all knew you were good. Keep up the good work. I will need some real good help in a few more years.

Anonymous said...

That is so great. YES you are going to frame it and show ti to all....accomplishing anything with little people around should be celebrated.
Mike and I are proud of you. You and Phil are doing great and thanks for letting us share it with you.

Stacie said...

That's a pretty cool accomplishment. Way to go!